Friday, March 27, 2009

Singapore March Meeting 2009

Last week, I was given these 2 invitation cards (and a car pass) to attend the Singapore March Meeting 2009 at the Singapore Turf Club.


First, let me confess that I have no prior visit to any horse race or whatsoever. Hence, I was rather eager not to let this rare opportunity slip by. And, I thought wouldn’t it be a greater idea to bring my 19-year old son, Bingo, along? Thus, both father and son set out for a night of uncharted course. We met our first problem when Bingo was refused entry by the door man at the Turf Club for wearing a round neck tee-shirt. To avoid any inconvenience, I bought this $16 polo tee which was available for sale at the entrance.


Then, there was this man who had been observing our little incident at the entrance. He walked calmly towards me and whispered a tip to me. The man said it would help me to recover the $16 which I had just spent on the shirt. We took a lift to level 4 which was primarily reserved for VIPs and corporate guests. The name of our host was clearly displayed on this door that opened into a hospitality suite.


At the opposite end of the door, this private viewing stand offers a bird-eye view of the race track and gallery.


Race 6 was in progress when I suddenly remembered the tip given by the man near the entrance i.e. to bet on horse # 5 of Race 7. So I placed a $100 bet using my VISA card, ...


... and look at what I got in return!


Thereafter, the scene of the anti-gambling television advertisement kept flashing across my mind. I told myself that I have to make sure that my one and only bet was “my last time”. Thus, I left the hospitality suite and toured the public area of the premises. As seen in below picture, the gallery was crowded, noisy and certainly very lively. Unfortunately, the no-smoking law there seemed fairly relaxed.



At the podium area, we had the opportunity to pose a picture with this winning 'horse'.

Lastly, here's one more look at the smile of a winning face.