Sunday, May 25, 2008

Runway Cycle ‘08

I once carried 8 bicycles in a borrowed pick-up and headed for the Runway Cycle event held at the Paya Lebar Airport (PLA). As my team comprised of very young members including my son, daughter, nieces and nephews, we did the beginners’ 6-km Family Route. Well, that was more than 10 years ago…..

This morning, my son (Bingo) and I left home in our trusted mountain bikes at 7:30 am for this popular annual event. Unlike the previous occasion, the security check at PLA was tight and stringent. All participants were required to walk through the scanner while our belongings went under the x-ray machines.


The event was also opened to skaters and, according to the press, it attracted more than 8,000 people.


The atmosphere was carnival-like and certainly very enjoyable for us.


Both father and son opted for the 15-km Leisure Route and covered in less than 1 hour. The nicer looking person standing next to me in the picture is my son, Bingo. In the very near future, I shall attempt the 45-km Endurance Route.