Saturday, June 7, 2008

Japan F1

The various agencies have played up our first ever F1 to be held in September. As a result, many Singaporeans can’t wait to get their hands on the tickets. Unless you are an invited guest, the admission cost to such an event can be rather high. During my tenure as President of Singapore Motor Sports Association, I was invited to watch the Japanese F1 in 1996.

Although the trip was made a long time ago, I can clearly remember all the special treatment accorded to me during my stay. On race day, I had the opportunity to stroll the paddock among the contingent of dignitaries, watched the event in a VIP Hospitality Room situated above the pits, dined with F1 supremo – Mr Bernie Ecclestone and slept at Suzuka Circuit Hotel. After the event, I stayed at the renowned Prince Hotel – right next to the iconic Tokyo Tower . And, I was ferried in a Nissan President to Narita Airport for my return flight home. What a lifetime experience!